Foundry Court 4-4 Preston City @ Moor Park
Wednesday 30th March 2011
By Dan Birch:

A SUPERB DOUBLE from Tom Pick and strikes from Alex Blackall and Olli Scott handed Foundry Court a share of the spoils against Preston City last Wednesday.
Pick’s two goals, were a memorable occasion for the midfielder in his comeback, after a long absence from the team.

Foundry were twice two goals ahead, against the current bottom placed side in the SUL, but slack defending and concentration painted a familiar picture of the season.

Stand in player manager; Ed Scott had to make do with four players missing from the team including Dan Birch, Martin Finnerty, Keshane Jackson and Ben Smith.

However he was still able to name a team still strong in depth with regular season starters, Dan Baker and Gary Clark both starting the match as substitutes. Ben Sharples who recently signed a permanent deal, started at left back, and Scott named on loan winger, Jamie Gordon on the bench, with Foundry rumoured to make a transfer bid for the Substandard Liege man.

With Scott playing as the attacking midfielder just behind his namesake Olli, it was clear Foundry were looking to shake of their defensive capabilities and go forward.

The start of the match however produced nothing on end, with both sides cancelling each other out.

However soon, a good start was made to tell with a strike from Blackall. Despite a fine save by City keeper, Craig Lawlor, the ball rebounded to the 22 year old winger, whose shot earned him his fifth goal of the season.

City soon struck back when a cross fell to the midfielder, who sizzling shot curled right into the bottom left corner of the net, past Naylor. Foundry manager, Ed Scott failed to place his head on the ball on the line, which led to a communication mix up between goalkeeper and manager, resulting in shock faces all around.

Foundry though did not let their heads sag, and increased the tempo. A fine cross from the impressive Blackall on the right was met with the strike of Olli Scott whose shot cannoned off the crossbar into the empty net, to make it 2-1.

Foundry built upon this lead before half time thanks to an error from the opposing keeper, Lawlor. A shot from yards out by Pick, was fumbled by Lawlor right into the net, to give Foundry an added lead. This seemed the perfect opportunity to increase the pressure for the Halls side on a side whose confidence appeared to have gone.

However the second half turned a different story, with the match starting to produce more goals. City pounced on poor defending in the box to make it 3-2. However, hopes of a comeback appeared to have gone, when a fine long shot by Pick beat Lawlor into the bottom left corner of the net, for the midfielder’s second goal of the afternoon, as Foundry once again, went two goals ahead.

Then cue Foundry self-destruction, which had been apparent all season. A fine ball to City’s striker was timed accurately right as the striker managed to beat the run of Gary Clark before shooting through Naylor to make it 4-3.

The comeback for City was complete when Jamie Allen, who had also had a number of headed chances throughout the game, handballed in the box. The resulting spot kick beat Naylor, and Foundry’s hopes of a victory were quashed.

However positives from an attacking point were certainly to be admired and Foundry will hope that in the remaining matches at the season’s end that they can add to their season, as the hot summer nights draw in.

Naylor, Potts (Baker), Campbell (Clark), Allen, Sharples, Blackall, Pick, Booth, Riley, E.Scott, O.Scott (Gordon)
Goals: Blackall, O.Scott, Pick (2)