UCLan Men’s 2nds: 4 Manchester 2nds: 6

UCLan’s 2nd XI Football team found themselves on the wrong end of a goal fest against Manchester in a gripping end to end encounter.

Pre-match, it was clear that this UCLan side were up for this match. Previous matches with the Manchester outfit in the division, had proven to be close affairs, but Manager Adam Shilcock was keen for his team to pick up a first victory of the season following back to back league defeats.

UCLan immediately took control of possession in the early stages of the game before firing in the opening goal of the match. A good run by Henry Davies on the left flank saw a good pass to Fumi in the penalty box who finished home superbly to make it 1-0 with his first goal for the team.

A couple of chances fell to the home side with opportunities for Moses Owalobi and captain, Kyle Goodge to look to further increase the lead

The tide turned however when midway through the first half, Manchester got the equaliser with a neat finish coming from a good team move. Further misery for UCLan then came when Manchester then took the lead with the No.9 striker heading the ball contently into the net from a cross.

Despite the high tempo game the home side didn’t let their heads drop and just before the half time whistle came. Fami got the equaliser for UCLan with his second goal coming in with a tap in from a corner at the far post.

There was always a chance for the home side to continue to mount the pressure, and the start of the second half saw Captain Goodge lead by example, hitting a shot with his left foot from way out that was so powerful that the Manchester keeper proceeded to fumble the ball directly into his own net.

The 3-2 scoreline did UCLan justice and a fourth was soon added, when Irish right back Chris Adams hit a shot which again the Manchester keeper fumbled.

It was clear that the opposing keeper was there for the taking with the home side now 4-2 up, looking to continue to create further opportunities.

Manchester however soon found themselves back in the game minutes later, when a good run found the No.10 striker to slot it intothe back of the net.

It was already clear that the game was goal crazy, and much to the annoyance of UCLan manager, Adam Shilcock, Manchester then scored the equaliser with a brilliant solo run resulting in a beautiful top left corner shot into the net.

Frustration was searing across Lancashire faces when Manchester then finished the match off taking advantage of a sloppy Adams back pass with the striker scoring past the onrushing keeper.

It was an afternoon of mixed emotions for manager Adam Shilcock. However the manager believes that if the team are to have any chance of securing promotion this season, they need to cut out individual mistakes.

“For sixty minutes, we were spot on our game,” he said. “However in the last thirty, we switched off and it cost us the game. If we want to progress and get out of this league, we need to stop making individual mistakes.”

Rain the spine of Christmas Tournament

“Rain the spine of Christmas Tournament “

Harrogate Grammar School Youth: Friday 19th December 2008

Harrogate Grammar School’s 6th Form team with two ‘guests’ took part at the annual Rossett 6-a side Christmas Football Tournament on a complete rain bath of a competition.

The tournament was organised by Year 12 students at Rossett with a vast number of teams, ranging from adult sides, Sunday league outfits and School Staff and pupil teams.

The HGS team that took to the field on this cold wet night, included six players who played in the previous days angry encounter at Northallerton. Two former students at the school, Michael Collins and Luis Abricallantra also came into the side for HGS for the night.

The first match in the group was against Rossett Under 17’s. The match finished 0-0 but HGS had many notable chances. However despite this, there was no breakthrough and the team had to wait a while for their next encounter against St Aidan’s Staff. The match was won 2-0 thanks to goals from Ed Holgate and Sam Cox. Mike Collins almost bagged one in but somehow couldn’t find the net. Grammar certainly proved to be a touch class above their opponents and so with four points in the bag, the last match would prove crucial.

This was against Harrogate Town Reserves with Ben Dyason and Abricantra both involved with the Town set-up a few years previously. Town somehow managed to take the lead in this game but Collins bagged a deserved equaliser. The match was certainly end to end stuff but did not result in any further goals.

With five points to the good, and unbeaten, HGS were unlucky not to qualify for the knock-out stages because of their goal difference. However with the rain lashing down and the sky searing above in a frightening red colour, the night was nigh as the players drove out of school institution to the Christmas do’s.

Head Boy secures away day joy

“Head boy secures away day joy”
Malton School 1-3 Harrogate Grammar
Thursday 16th October 2008
NYS County Cup First Round

Reporter: Daniel Birch at Malton

A superb double from Head Boy, James Auckland and a neat finish by captain, Tom Joel secured a solid 3-1 victory against Malton to help HGS into the second round of the Senior County Cup.

A squad of thirteen players made the trip that seemed like forever to the small dales town which was a part of Yorkshire, largely unknown to the team.
Only a victory would suffice in this important game. A win could perhaps be something to build upon. After the unlucky defeat against St Cuthbert’s a fortnight earlier, in the English Schools Cup, HGS were desperate to get it right on the park.
Off the park had been a more complex issue. Most of the team had failed to attend the previous days training – a situation that infuriated Manager, Adrian Hodgson. Match day absentees also included key player, Sam Bainbridge, long term injury victim, Sam Reffitt and midfield duo, Alex Collett and Tom Shiel who both stumbled to the demands of Work and driving lessons.

The team were however positive on the way to Malton and were confident they could pick up a victory. The manager made a good showing of team spirit by allowing the players to pick up some pre-match nourishment at the nearby, Jackson’s store in the town.
The players got into their stride almost immediately as the Cup clash began with right back, Dan Smith hitting the crossbar with a fine shot. Keen to build on that early chance, Grammar started to play some lovely on-the-ground football but were thwarted by a reckless Malton side that started to make a nuisance of themselves. Striker, James Auckland had two early penalty appeals turned down and defensive midfielder Tobin Carey Williams also inexplicably was brought down by a Malton player clutching his leg while on the deck!

Grammar eventually got the break with Tom Joel hitting a fine pass through to James Auckland who made no mistake hitting it past the keeper on the one-on-one.
Eventually more chances arrived for Grammar with Tom Joel having a fine chance on a one-on-one before hitting it straight at the keeper. Henry Weemes also found himself in this situation, thought what was a bit more difficult was having had to control the ball with his weaker foot before hitting the ball wide. HGS also made some important challenges at the back in the first half with James Taylor making a crunch tackle on the edge of the box saving the team from conceding a vital chance.

Grammar went into the half time lead, eagerly satisfied and keen to get a few more goals. Sadly, the team had to wait a while as Malton started to push themselves out a bit. Stuart Procter was called on to make an important save at his near post to deny a good goal scoring opportunity. Grammar were however able to make yet another break with good midfield play seeing Weemes slot it to Joel who finished home beautifully.

Malton weren’t done yet though and got another goal back after a cross into the box saw Anderson completely miss kicking the ball allowing the man at the back post behind him to slot it past Procter. To equal the argument, Taylor and Holgate were too far forward at this point.

This put Grammar undeservedly under pressure but they sealed the win thanks to another from Auckland who hit the ball home from a Ben Dyason shot rebounded off the keeper.

HGS are now through to the second round of this competition where they will play either King James’s or Rossett at home.

S.Procter, D.Smith, J.Taylor, L.Anderson, E.Holgate, B.Dyason, T.Carey-Williams, S.Cox, T.Joel, J.Auckland, H.Weemes
Substitutes: Max Sharp (for James Auckland), Dan Birch (for Ed Holgate)

Sunday, 19 October 2008

Pupils riot stuns staff

An Indian summer coasted over the playing fields of HGS as the scene was set for the battle – Pupils Vs Teachers.

Matches between the deep ends of human life had been scarce of late due to the health and safety regulations surrounding the education system these days. However the lengthy period of time blended in with the resurgence of football at the school at a senior level, meant it was a push too far and therefore the battle could commence.

This match was dubbed as a ‘ Staff Vs Pupils Challenge’ match as this is expected to be the first of a number of matches contested in different sports. The variety of these it is hoped will also raise money for the School’s charity.

A late kick off time at 5:30pm meant the pupils were more than geared up for this match as they were kept waiting for their staff opponents to turn up from their offices. One pupil said, this was the “biggest match of the season”, which hardly anyone could argue with.

Dan Birch took on the role of player-manager for the Senior boys team with a strong 4-4-2 formation selected, thankfully including the big guns who were unavailable for Monday night.

Almost immediately, the Pupils capitalised on the shambolic Staff’s defending from corner kicks. Sam Reffitt hit a corner kick, which went right to James Taylor in the box who beautifully volleyed it home to give the Pupils an early lead. Worse was to come for the Staff when an almost identical ball from Reffitt on a corner kick, went straight to Taylor’s partner in defence, Louis Anderson, who slotted it home.

The pressure continued to be against the Staff with the pupils going through changes in personal to keep the tempo flowing. A third goal soon arrived from right back, Tom Joel who slotted home in the box after bursting forward from his area of the park to link up with the attackers. Already 3-0 up, and three of the back four had all scored!

The Staff tried to get back into the game and almost did from Andy Lee, the maths teacher whose quick shot was saved over the bar by Procter. The Staff were therefore happy to see out the half meaning a 3-0 scoreline at half time.

The start of the second half was almost like the first as the Pupils ripped into the teachers. Henry Weemes hit a good shot from the left to make it 4-0 and people thought this would be the start of something big. Despite the introduction of Roy and Andy Mackay for the staff, the assault from the pupils would not stop with Henry Weemes adding a fifth goal near identical to his first, The proactive change of taking Weemes on and off before putting him on the left side of the park worked wonders, as Weemes completed a deserved hat trick.

With the scoreline a massive 6-0, the Pupils then added insult to despair as Ed Holgate’s long effort somehow squandered under Steve Allan in the HGS goal to add more grief and humilation.

The Staff then produced a mini-comeback courtesy of a few cocky pupils who wanted to score more than what was required. Andy Lee hit a fine hat trick in this period of time
With no defending at the back as certain players wished to take the chance up front.

Comeback teacher turned plumber, Mehdi Bouttier then hit a fourth for the Staff at the near post with blame put on James Taylor who had gone in goal for the pupils. After a assured defensive display, it was hard done for Taylor to concede three goals in a short space of time not helped by his defence.

But an eighth goal for the pupils, courtesy of Dan Smith made it 8-4 and a thrilling game. The highest ever scoreline for many of these pupils at the school. The Staff made it a great game but we all know who was the better team don’t we?!

Under 18’s: Procter, Joel, Taylor, Anderson, Holgate, Smith, Shiel, Bainbridge, Dyason, Auckland, Reffitt
Subs – Collett, Auckland, Birch, Blackstone

Teachers: Bouttier, McKenzie, Horne, Hodgson, Robinson, Allan, Neil, Lee, McDonald, Stevenson, Ash
Subs: R.Mackay, A.Mackay